Friday, January 22, 2010

A New Hero

Or should I say heroine?

She is Melody Gilbert from Frozen Feet Films. If you live in the Twin Cities, you've probably seen some of her work, or at least seen trailers for them. There's her film about people who want a limb amputated called Whole. Or how about the movie about Urban Explorers or the film, Married at the Mall, where she stakes herself out at the Mall of America marriage chapel to show us weddings at the world's largest mall. I'm watching her documentary Disconnected right now on Hulu for free so you can too. It follows students at Carleton College who decided to do without computers.

I met Gilbert at a screening for Urban Explorers. During the Q&A she let the audience know she never studied film, but instead has a deep background in journalism. Afterward, I asked about her outsider's take on the male dominated film industry from her point of view as a woman. Before I could finish my question, she said, "That's why I work alone."

Gilbert talked about the difference between how she holds a camera and how men do. She talked about her interviewing style and how it changes when men are around. I was hoping for some insight or helpful tips about women in the film industry, but I'll just keep supporting women in their efforts to break the celluloid ceiling.

I'm looking forward to a local showing of Gilbert's documentary about Fritz Mondale, showing at the Women with Vision Film Festival at the Walker Art Center this spring and whatever my hero is doing next.

No comments: